Sunday, July 11, 2010

blue and gold print

February 2032 - Robert Stanton is 31, Jenny Stanton is 30, Meg is 8, Libby is 3, Jodie and Sadie are four months, Ricky Cormier is 37.

Robert and Jenny just had their third and fourth children, twin daughters named Jodie and Sadie. They hadn't really been planning to have another child so soon after Libby, and now they're the parents of an eight-year-old, a toddler, and twin babies. Taking care of two kids was hard enough, but with four Robert and Jenny have no free time. They only see each other in passing, in between bottles and diaper changes.

The twins sleep in Libby's old room, and now Meg and Libby are sharing a room.

Robert is a natural father, always patient and caring. But he also works long hours, leaving Jenny alone with the girls during the day.

Libby is a very self-sufficient little girl. She's happy to spend hours playing alone in her room.

Jenny loves her daughters dearly, but being alone with kids all day can be frustrating. So one day while Robert is at work, she invites Ricky Cormier over. They've been friends for a few years, just friends, but when she seems him it's hard to fight the attraction.

"I'm glad you called," Ricky says. "I've been thinking about you lately. I haven't seen you around town in almost a year."

She smiles, but she can't conceal her tiredness. "I've been busy. Four daughters, twin babies."

Meg gets home from school and runs up to them. "Hi Mommy."

"Hi sweetie. This is Mommy's friend Ricky."

"Hello. Mommy, look at what I drew in school today!"

"I'll look at it in a second sweetie. You go inside, I'll be inside soon."

She really intends to go back inside, but then Robert gets home. "You need a break from the girls," he says. "I can watch them while you and Ricky talk."

So she and Ricky sit in the car together and talk.

"I really should go inside," Jenny says. "I just need a break sometimes, you know? I'm just so tired all the time."

He smiles. "You look beautiful."

She doesn't mean for it to happen, but before she knows it they're making out in the car like teenagers. For a moment it all falls away: her husband, her kids, the exhaustion and loneliness and frustration. For a moment she's just a girl again.

When he leaves, she finds Robert in his study. "I made dinner," he says. "Meg is doing her homework, and the other girls are asleep."

"Thanks honey." Robert's taken care of everything, and they both have a few hours to themselves. For the first time since the babies were born, she pulls out some spare canvas and starts to paint.

3 comments:

  1. Oh Jenny! Aww I feel so sad for Robert and the girls. I can understand being tired and exhausted, but man. :( Not the right away to go about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah Jenny has really screwed up her family. I feel so bad for Robert and her daughters. But Jenny seemed really unsatisfied with her life. She and Ricky met while I was playing his restaurant, and the next time I played the Stanton household, I noticed that Jenny wanted to go on a date with him. She and Robert are three bolts, but she and Ricky are a higher three bolts (at least when they're together, when they're apart they're only two bolts). Plus she was a lot more interested in going on a date with Ricky than spending time with Robert. She's Romance/Family, but she hardly ever rolls Family wants. Mostly she wants to go on dates, paint, and sculpt. So now we'll see how things go for the Stantons.

    I have to say, though, that it's a lot more interesting and exciting to write about troubled families than happy ones.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is more interesting/easy to write about troubled families, that is very true! And sims are great at stirring up trouble!

    ReplyDelete