Sunday, July 3, 2011

the crane wife

October 2043 - Anthony Cooke is 26, Anjali Ramaswami is 25.

For the next two years, Anthony and Anjali will be living in Takemizu Village. Anthony got a two-year position as a researcher, and Anjali will be working as a radiologist at the local clinic.

Anthony has been to Takemizu Village before, but it's Anjali's first time there.

The new customs are a little confusing at first...

...but eventually she gets the hang of it.

On their first day in town, Anthony takes her to the pagoda for a lunch of chirashi.

The long flight is exhausting, so Anjali relaxes with an acupressure massage.

"To an exciting two years," Anjali says.

"It means a lot to me that you followed me here," Anthony says.

As soon as the words "followed me" leave his mouth, Anjali stiffens. "You know, I didn't just come for you," she says. "This is a good opportunity for my career too."

"I didn't mean it like that. I just meant... I'm glad we're here together."

Outside, he tries again. "You mean so much to me, Anjali. I can't imagine my life without you. You're more than just my girlfriend, you're my partner, and... Anjali, will you marry me?"

After more than eight years together, Anthony Cooke and Anjali Ramaswami are engaged.

*****

Anjali rolled the move away ROS, but I couldn't bring myself to write her off the story, so I decided to have her and Anthony temporarily move to Takemizu Village. I don't know if it's common for doctors to temporarily work abroad, but it's not uncommon for scientists to work all over the world. I think I'll have them stay for two years, then they'll move back to either Providence or Bridgeport.

5 comments:

  1. Well, there's Doctors Without Borders, so some doctors do work abroad for a while. I also have a friend in medical school who did a placement in India.

    Anyway, awww! This was a nice way to write in the move away, I think. Will you have them get married in Takemizu as well or will they go home for that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that you are just having them be abroad, I like Carla's idea of Doctors Without Borders, that would work perfectly. I'm excited these two are getting married, very sweet, though the proposal was a little rough to start with, lol! Glad it worked out in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cute update and yay for their engagement! It sounds like moving to a different country together was just the thing they needed. Neat idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the comments! The proposal was a little awkward at first, but they really did start arguing at the restaurant. I didn't really know why they would be fighting, but I thought Anjali might be a little defensive about uprooting her career to follow Anthony. The next update (which I'm working on now, it's overdue) will be from the Cooke family, so you'll see more of Anjali and Anthony.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the way you dealt with this ROS - very creative! A lot of doctors work short periods in other countries, its one of those professions that many places have a shortage of, so its easy to get a visa, and a great opportunity for an extended 'working holiday' and the chance to experience another culture.

    And, yay on the engagement!

    ReplyDelete